Portafilter helps coffee lovers brew like a barista. When you use our links, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.
Transforming coffee into a sublime experience is a proper art form, and the hands of a skilled barista are the magic behind it.
That’s where barista schools step in – these centers of coffee excellence nurture aspiring talent and teach the ins and outs of crafting exquisite coffee beverages, from bean selection to brewing techniques and from latte art to impeccable customer service.
As coffee continues to captivate taste buds globally, the need for top-notch baristas is skyrocketing.
So, whether you’re a passionate home barista or seeking a career in the thriving coffee industry, finding the best barista schools is the key to unlocking your full potential.
In this article, I’ll take you on an exciting journey to uncover the world’s top 10 best barista schools, giving you the inside scoop on where to hone your coffee-making skills and elevate your barista game.
Get ready to dive into a world of exceptional coffee education!
The 10 Best Barista Schools In The World
Seattle Barista Academy (USA)
This renowned school is celebrated for its diverse courses taught by industry professionals.
With a strong emphasis on hands-on training and SCA certifications, students gain practical experience while mastering essential skills.
The school’s commitment to excellence and deep connections within the coffee industry make it a top choice for aspiring baristas.
“Attending the Seattle Barista Academy was a transformative experience. The hands-on training and knowledgeable instructors helped me develop my skills and truly understand the science behind coffee making. I now feel confident in my abilities as a barista.”Maria, Seattle Barista Academy graduate
London School of Coffee (UK)
As a prestigious institution offering SCA-certified courses, the London School of Coffee provides world-class barista training, coffee roasting, and sensory skills development.
Students benefit from access to cutting-edge facilities and a vast network of coffee professionals, setting them up for a successful career in the industry.
“The London School of Coffee provided me with a solid foundation in coffee theory and practical skills. Their comprehensive curriculum, state-of-the-art facilities, and networking opportunities helped me launch my career as a barista.”Luca, London School of Coffee alumnus
The Coffee Gang (Australia)
Renowned for its comprehensive curriculum and SCA-certified trainers, The Coffee Gang covers everything from espresso preparation to latte art.
Students receive an immersive and supportive learning experience, with ample opportunities to practice their skills and learn from expert instructors in a modern, well-equipped environment.
“Studying at The Coffee Gang was an amazing experience. Their SCA-certified trainers taught me everything from espresso preparation to latte art. The school’s emphasis on practical training prepared me for the challenges of working in a busy café.”Sofia, The Coffee Gang student
Australian Barista Academy (Australia)
This ASCA-accredited school boasts an extensive range of courses, catering to students from beginner barista skills to advanced brewing techniques.
The academy’s skilled instructors, state-of-the-art facilities, and commitment to providing a well-rounded education make it a leading choice for coffee enthusiasts around the globe.
“After completing my training at the Australian Barista Academy, I felt prepared to enter the competitive world of specialty coffee. The ASCA-accredited courses gave me the confidence and knowledge to excel in my career.”David, Australian Barista Academy graduate
Barista & Co. (Colombia)
Barista & Co. offers an immersive experience beyond standard barista training in the heart of the coffee country.
Students learn about coffee cultivation, processing, and brewing, surrounded by the vibrant Colombian coffee culture. The school’s unique approach to coffee education sets it apart from its competitors.
“My time at Barista & Co. in Colombia was an unforgettable experience. Learning about coffee cultivation and processing firsthand deepened my appreciation for the coffee supply chain. This knowledge has been invaluable in my work as a barista and coffee educator.”Carlos, Barista & Co. student
Ditta Artigianale (Italy)
This Italian coffee hub is renowned for its barista courses that delve deep into espresso techniques, milk frothing, and the rich history of Italian coffee culture.
Students receive hands-on training and personalized attention from skilled instructors while being exposed to the uniquely Italian coffee-making approach.
Copenhagen Coffee Academy (Denmark)
Focusing on specialty coffee and sustainability, this school provides SCA-accredited courses and hands-on training in a Scandinavian setting.
Students understand the coffee industry’s environmental impact and learn how to create exceptional coffee experiences while minimizing their ecological footprint.
“The Copenhagen Coffee Academy’s focus on sustainability and specialty coffee set me on a unique career path. The education I received there has enabled me to promote responsible coffee practices and contribute to the growth of the specialty coffee industry.”Anna, Copenhagen Coffee Academy alumna
Dublin Barista School (Ireland)
This school combines SCA-certified courses with practical training in producing skilled and knowledgeable baristas.
With a focus on mastering essential techniques and understanding coffee theory, students leave the Dublin Barista School well-prepared for a successful career in the coffee industry.
Boot Coffee Campus (Netherlands)
Boot Coffee Campus is a globally recognized school that offers SCA-accredited courses in barista skills, coffee roasting, and sensory analysis.
Students benefit from the school’s experienced instructors and commitment to providing a comprehensive coffee education, enabling them to excel in the competitive world of specialty coffee.
Canadian Barista Institute (Canada)
With campuses in multiple cities, this institute offers comprehensive barista training, including espresso techniques and latte art.
Students gain access to state-of-the-art equipment and a strong network of coffee professionals, ensuring they leave the program with the skills and connections needed for a thriving career in the coffee industry.
How I Chose The Best Barista Schools In The World
When searching for the ultimate barista schools, I evaluated each school using the following selection criteria:
|Accreditations and certifications||Look for schools with recognized certifications, such as those from the SCA, BGA, or ASCA.|
|Experienced instructors||Top schools employ skilled, knowledgeable instructors with real-world experience in the coffee industry.|
|Comprehensive curriculum||The best schools offer a well-rounded curriculum, covering everything from coffee theory to practical brewing techniques and latte art.|
|Hands-on training||Seek schools emphasizing practical training, providing ample opportunities to practice your skills.|
|Facilities and equipment||High-quality schools have state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, giving students access to the latest coffee-making technology.|
|Networking opportunities||Top schools often have strong connections with coffee professionals and businesses, which can help students secure jobs and internships.|
This free cheat sheet will improve your coffee brew by providing quick information on brew ratio, grind size, optimal brewing time, and more.
Best Barista Schools by Region
Top Barista Schools In Europe
- London School of Coffee (UK): Offering SCA-certified courses, this prestigious institution provides world-class barista training, coffee roasting, and sensory skills development. With substantial industry connections and expert instructors, it is considered one of the best schools in Europe.
- The Coffee Gang (Australia): Known for its comprehensive curriculum and SCA-certified trainers, The Coffee Gang covers everything from espresso preparation to latte art. Its modern facilities and commitment to quality education make it a top choice in Europe.
- Ditta Artigianale (Italy): This Italian coffee hub offers barista courses that dive into espresso techniques, milk frothing, and the history of Italian coffee culture. This school stands out in the European market with skilled instructors and a focus on traditional Italian coffee.
- Copenhagen Coffee Academy (Denmark): Focusing on specialty coffee and sustainability, this school provides SCA-accredited courses and hands-on training in a Scandinavian setting. Its commitment to environmental responsibility and high-quality education makes it a top choice in Europe.
- Dublin Barista School (Ireland): Combining SCA-certified courses with practical training, this school is dedicated to producing skilled and knowledgeable baristas. Its focus on essential techniques and strong industry connections make it one of the top schools in Europe.
- Boot Coffee Campus (Netherlands): This globally recognized school offers SCA-accredited barista skills, coffee roasting, and sensory analysis courses. With a comprehensive coffee education and a reputation for excellence, Boot Coffee Campus is a top choice for European students.
Top Barista Schools In The US
- Seattle Barista Academy (USA): This renowned school offers a range of courses taught by industry professionals, with a strong focus on hands-on training and SCA certifications. Its modern facilities and commitment to quality education make it a top choice for students in the US.
- Best Barista Training Portland: With a focus on specialty coffee and a comprehensive curriculum, the American Barista & Coffee School offers SCA-accredited courses, hands-on training, and experienced instructors. Its reputation for excellence and strong industry connections make it a top choice in the US.
- Barista Training San Francisco: The SF Espresso Machine offers SCA-certified courses and hands-on training in a modern setting. Its commitment to quality education, skilled instructors, and strong industry connections make it one of the best barista schools in the US.
- Barista Training NYC: Offering a range of courses from beginner to advanced levels, the American Barista And Coffee School is known for its experienced instructors, modern facilities, and strong industry connections. Its comprehensive curriculum and commitment to quality education make it a top choice for students in the US.
- Los Angeles Coffee College: With SCA-accredited courses and a focus on hands-on training, this school offers a comprehensive coffee education in a modern setting. Its skilled instructors, state-of-the-art facilities, and strong industry connections make it one of the best barista schools in the US.
Importance of Certifications and Accreditations
Regarding coffee education, certifications, and accreditations are like gold stars that vouch for a barista school’s excellence.
These valuable stamps of approval ensure that a school’s curriculum, facilities, and instructors meet industry-recognized standards, promising students a top-notch educational experience.
By choosing an accredited barista school, you can confidently invest your time and energy in a program that will pave the way for a successful coffee career.
These schools often have strong ties to coffee pros and businesses, opening doors to invaluable networking opportunities and job placements.
Recognized Certifications In The Coffee Industry
In the realm of coffee, several esteemed certifications and accreditation bodies work tirelessly to maintain and evaluate the quality of barista schools.
Here are some of the big players:
- Specialty Coffee Association (SCA): A global heavyweight, the SCA offers comprehensive training and certification programs for baristas, roasters, and other coffee maestros. If a barista school has SCA accreditation, you know it’s among the best in the world.
- Barista Guild of America (BGA): Now part of the SCA family, the BGA is a professional organization that champions the barista profession in the United States. Their certification program provides a well-structured learning path, putting baristas’ practical skills and knowledge to the test.
- Australian Specialty Coffee Association (ASCA): As the leading coffee industry organization Down Under, the ASCA offers a range of certifications and training programs, including barista courses. They’re on a mission to promote specialty coffee and boost baristas’ skills in the region.
Opting for a barista school with certifications from one or more prestigious organizations is smart. You’ll know that the training you’re getting is top quality and ideally in tune with industry standards.
Barista School FAQs
What Is The Best Barista School In The World?
According to our rankings, the Seattle Barista Academy (USA) is currently considered the best barista school in the world. They offer a wide range of courses taught by industry professionals, with a strong focus on hands-on training and SCA certifications.
What Is The Best Barista School In Europe?
The London School of Coffee (UK) is the best European barista school. This prestigious institution offers SCA-certified courses, providing world-class barista training, coffee roasting, and sensory skills development.
What Is The Best Barista School In The US?
In the United States, the top barista school is the Seattle Barista Academy. Renowned for its comprehensive courses, experienced instructors, and hands-on training, this school ensures students receive a high-quality coffee-making education.
Recap Of The Top 10 Best Barista Schools Worldwide
Attending one of the world’s top 10 best barista schools can significantly impact an aspiring barista’s career.
These schools provide students with comprehensive education, hands-on training, and access to knowledgeable instructors who are experts in their field.
Graduates of these prestigious institutions are well-equipped with the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in the competitive world of specialty coffee.
Here are the best barista schools worldwide:
- Seattle Barista Academy (USA)
- London School of Coffee (UK)
- The Coffee Gang (Australia)
- Australian Barista Academy (Australia)
- Barista & Co. (Colombia)
- Ditta Artigianale (Italy)
- Copenhagen Coffee Academy (Denmark)
- Dublin Barista School (Ireland)
- Boot Coffee Campus (Netherlands)
- Canadian Barista Institute (Canada)
If you have a passion for coffee and are considering a career as a barista, investing in your education at one of the top barista schools is an excellent way to kickstart your journey.
These schools will teach you the technical skills needed to excel as a barista and help you build a strong foundation in coffee theory and understand the industry’s nuances.
By pursuing your education and honing your craft, you can join the ranks of the world’s best baristas and contribute to the ever-evolving specialty coffee community.
This free cheat sheet will improve your coffee brew by providing quick information on brew ratio, grind size, optimal brewing time, and more.
Read These Next
Barista Training NYC: Which Course Should You Take?
Looking for Barista Training NYC? Here's our shortlist of the top 5 courses for professional and home baristas available in NYC today.
Barista Training Los Angeles – The 5 Best LA Courses for 2023!
Looking for barista training Los Angeles? Here's our shortlist of the best barista training courses in Los Angeles, perfect for professional and home baristas!