In this article we will review the La Marzocco Bottomless Portafilter which can be a great addition to your coffee equipment repertoire.
- Easy to use, commercial-grade, and easy to clean simply because you don’t need any little brushes to deep clean inside of the spouts
- It puts the coffee extraction in full view so you can evaluate and adjust things like your tamping technique and a whole lot more
- With a La Marzocco bottomless portafilter you can see the effect of changing the brewing pressure by holding back the lever a bit which can help you to learn a lot about tamping techniques and channeling
We Don’t Like
- It can be a little messy to start with as imperfections in tamping and dosing are exposed when the coffee spurts out in different directions instead of straight down into your coffee cup
- This portafilter gives the brewer less control over the coffee extraction process
“The La Marzocco bottomless portafilter is a great addition to your home barista equipment. It will help you improve your dosing and tamping skills, while enjoying photogenic scenes as the rich, thick crema is delivered to your coffee cup.”
La Marzocco Bottomless Portafilter Review
La Marzocco offers two types of portafilter:
- La Marzocco Bottomless Portafilter
- La Marzocco Portafilter
In this article we will review the features and specifications, frequently asked questions, and pros and cons of the La Marzocco bottomless portafilter.
You are allowed to watch the crema from underneath the basket that comes off of a La Marzocco Bottomless Portafilter. This is the way to go to see extracted coffee before it falls into your cup or shot glass. Extracted espresso of this portafilter is simply perfect, both in taste and aesthetics.
- La Marzocco Bottomless Portafilter with 6.0mm Wings.
- Compatible with La Marzocco (L111/X) espresso machines and GEV (531209).
- 15-degree handle angle.
- It includes a La Marzocco 58mm diameter portafilter basket.
- Available in black & stainless handle, custom maple, walnut, and standard rubber.
- Manufacturer SKU: L111/x
- Product Weight (lbs.): 1.5000
- Size: 58mm
- Material: Chrome Plated Brass
- Price Range: Check latest price on Amazon
This delicious, immune-boosting, healthy, low-acid, USDA organic certified is our favorite coffee. Our friends at Lifeboost offer our readers 50% off for all first time customers. So give it a try today, and see why it's our go-to!SAVE 50% NOW
How to use a La Marzocco Bottomless Portafilter?
Fill it up just like you would a standard portafilter while considering the issues of uneven tamping, tamping too hard, or having the wrong grind. After filling the portafilter basket to the top, gently even out the grounds using your fingers.
Then press the tamper into the grounds and apply approximately 30 pounds of pressure to a good center point. Tap the sides to reveal loose grounds. Now you can enjoy watching the beauty of espresso extraction.
Will this portafilter work with La Marzocco Linea Mini?
If the group head is the same size as that on the Linea Mini, then it will work.
Absolutely, the GS3 bottomless portafilter from La Marzocco is compatible with the Alex Duetto.
Does this fit on a Synesso Cynera or Gaggia Classic Pro?
It has not, to our knowledge, been tested yet. Portafilters typically tend to be brand specific.
Does this portafilter also fit the Rocket Espresso Giotto Premium Plus with PID?
No, it does not fit on a Rocket because the tabs on the sides of the portafilter are too tall, making it very difficult to even get it locked into the brew head.
Will this work with the Linea PB or Strada EE?
Yes, this will fit the Linea PB.
You are exposed to the good, the bad, and the ugly of espresso shots by essentially chopping the bottom off your portafilter. Any imperfections in your tamping, grinding, and dosing technique can be easily observed when using a La Marzocco bottomless portafilter.
To improve your channeling skills, try distributing the coffee more evenly by moving the portafilter around during dosing. Practice your tamping skills to make sure it is even and consistent.
Most importantly, to achieve your desired result with any portafilter, you should try to use freshly roasted beans. Usually, coffee beans remain fresh for 3-14 days once opened.
Should you buy a bottomless portafilter? Absolutely. However we recommend that you always have a spouted portafilter available too as you may not wish to use the naked portafilter every time due to the additional complexities and potential mess you can make while extracting your espresso shots.
La Marzocco Bottomless Portafilter
La Marzocco Bottomless Portafilter
Product SKU: L111/x
Product Brand: La Marzocco
Product Currency: USD
Product Price: 137.95
Price Valid Until: 2021-04-09
Product In-Stock: InStock
MarkG'day from Australia! I'm Mark, the Chief Editor of Portafilter. I'm super passionate about everything coffee related and love to spend endless hours mastering pulling the perfect shot on my Breville Barista Express.
This free cheat sheet will improve your coffee brew by providing quick information on brew ratio, grind size, optimal brewing time, and more!
Gaggia Portafilter – Bottomless (Naked) Portafilter
This bottomless Gaggia portafilter is a must have! It helps improve your tamping skills while offering a thicker crema which is the dream of every home barista.